Monday, May 18, 2009

Transfer Art

Have you ever got an idea in your head, then gone to make it, and the whole thing is a disaster! I had an idea for some birthday cards I am in the process of making ( there are several birthdays this week of importance!) , and when I went to make the first one, it was awful! I don't often throw stuff away but this experiment went in the bin tout suite! I wanted to use Claudine's sticky back canvas , and the technique is similar to the one I am going to show you. So I decided to make a simple frame with this Art Nouveau print. You are welcome to use it ( I do believe it is a Dover one). I have just resized it to fit the 2 x 2 inch Ranger Memory frame.
Firstly I printed it on plain paper from my inkjet printer, (a photocopy will work better if you have access to one). Using the Multi Medium Matte , I liberally painted it on a small piece of canvas, and laid the picture face down. Now the hard part, you have to wait for it to dry! You can heat dry it with a gun, but I just waited!
Then using a mini mister spray with water and gently rub away till the picture is revealed. Rub too hard and it all comes off, which is what happened with my first attempt! You can try the same technique with Claudine's paint too. When I liked how it looked, I covered it in gloss Multi Medium, and stamped one of The Artistic Stamper Gibson Girls on top. Add it to the frame with a piece of glass. For the embellishment, I stickled the half numbers from the Idea-ology line, in worn lipstick and faded jeans, left it to dry and attached it to the frame.
The birthday cards I am in the process of making are nothing like the original idea, and as soon as I know they have been sent and received I will show you.
If you have never tried this transfer technique give it a go, it is so easy

6 comments:

Calv said...

What a great idea for a birthday gift Jennie. You could write sentiments inside and all sorts if the material was suitable.

The frame and the numbers set it off great.

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful technique and the end project is super! anesha

Angelnorth said...

Messy transfer techniques are fun - this looks lovely Jennie, perfect in the little frame!

lottie said...

Love this - I always thought that you couldn't use inkjet prints to do transfers - but you have shown you can - lovely colours

Juanita said...

Wow, I love the colors on this great little project!

House of Hullabaloo said...

OOOH I want to try this. I'm sure I would have trouble waiting for it to dry. It looks so Monet!