Monday, March 14, 2011

Combination Technique-Colorwash, Archival & Perfect Pearls

Don't you love it when you get to discover something that in theory shouldn't work, but in practice turns out fantastic! This happened on Saturday while playing with stuff in my workshop. I always get to play! lol One of the fun things while taking a class...
I really don't remember how it happened, but most probably was a mistake, and I have tried this several ways, and it comes out beautifully. Now in theory, working with a permanent, waterproof ink like Black Archival, that dries fast, you shouldn't be able to add anything like Perfect Pearls to the surface after it has dried. That's exactly what I thought, but I had sprayed the surface with Ranger's Color Wash first, and there's the rub, or in this case, Perfect Pearls! I have discovered that if you can dust Perfect pearls powder , onto a stamped image even after it has dried!! Now I know you can do this with other wet type inks, don't get me wrong, but I almost always use Black Archival in everything I stamp ( old habits die hard!).

The trick is to have the Color Wash underneath your stamped image, so will it work with other permanent inks? yes it does! This tag is with the new butterfly from Crafty Notions, Color Wash, Black Archival and the saying which comes from one of Tim's new stamp sets.

 If you are careful you can colour up each letter, and it doesn't stick to the Colorwash! Please excuse the photos as the Perfect Pearls is very hard to photograph, as it reflects the light. I have lots of ideas for this technique, and my mind is spinning with them....off to try them.....
Be Creative!

17 comments:

Elaine said...

Great idea - the perfect pearls show up really well!!

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely!! xx

Hels Sheridan said...

oooh get you! That is a FAB idea... and it would look brilliant on die cut pieces... like die cut with a Vagabond... ROFL x

Linda M. Cain said...

(sing-song) Brilliant!!!

whyducks said...

oooo! clever idea and I love the colour of the washes. Very pretty tags too.

Helen said...

What a fantastic discovery! I can't wait to try this one!! Where are my colourwashes....

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh my, what a great find - you genius!

Sid said...

Interesting techniques and effects !

Caroline Hallett said...

I think I should take credit for this - if I had been a good student and hadnt distracted you from your teaching you would have had time to demonstrate properly and wouldn't have thought of doing this... LOL - just kidding - you were playing and this is what happens when you play - glad it repeated itself later...

Hettie said...

Ooo! Missey Clever Clogs! Having finished my collection of colour washes and rediscovering them I shall have a play tomorrow with your new found theory. Thanks!

Jan Hennings said...

Very pretty and the perfect pearls never looked so good :)

Rosemary said...

Those photos have come out really well, it was fun seeing it develop and how excited you were.

Crafting Queen said...

What a great tip, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your tags just take flight with their loveliness! Awesome!

Minxy said...

Well how darn cool, the effects are fab :D

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Oh GF, do I have a use for this, I just luv it, tu so much! hugz

Artyjen said...

Thanks for sharing that....I was so excited I had to have a go....it is a fab effect :)
xoxo Sioux
P.S. I don't know where my first comment went!!!