Thursday, January 07, 2010

Baby It's Cold outside!

The title should be Baby, it's "Snowing" outside, but the song by Dean Martin kind of sums up today.Crisp, cold and SNOWY!
Over on The Scrappy Tree there is a challenge and prize waiting to be given, and it intrigued me , so I thought what better way to kick start my artwork and possible journalling for 2010! The title of the challenge is New Year, New Beginnings, and today is a new year for me as it is my birthday, and I am the grand old age of 45! If you believe that you'll believe anything!, mind you my photo makes me look 21! NOT! It is snowing outside while I write this, and that made me think of my past birthdays where it has snowed, and I think I can count 2... but then the hormones ( and old age!)  have made my memory disappear, so it could be more, or even less! lol
Anyway I digress. For the challenge, I took a wonderful book I picked up ( I did pay for it..lol) at one of the shows we did last year,

and I altered the front with Maya Road chipboard, and all the sprays I have . I stamped Mr Holtz's Flourish stamps, in Stone Grey Stazon, and then  added the crowns which I glitzed and stickled and added Prima bling. The letters are Grungeboard from the Nature pack. They have been Terraed ( new word!) and then rubbed over with Precious metal. Ribbons were added on the binder rings.The glitz really doesn't show up on the photos.

Finally I did one page to get me started, and I haven't really journalled a lot, so used Claudine's paints in yellow and orange to colour the paper, and then used a combination of sprays, and let it dry. I stamped the flourishes in red stazon and added the sentiment. To qualify for the challenge, I hand wrote the words New Year, New Beginnings, and it was strange but I felt they finished off the page. The flowers were added and these are from the Flower Power stamp set and cut out on paper.

My journalling may well be stamped based this year, but what more could you expect. Now just to find time to do more!
This post is so long, that I feel you may have wandered off into the snow, but because it is my birthday , and because it the snow is filling our lives at the moment, I have GIFTS!!!
 So for all my blog readers and customers, I have a gift of FREE POSTAGE on the website until Sunday, and if you comment on this post, there is a little goodie bag for one of you containing stamps, and stickles and inks and more.. a little birthday gift from me to you. I shall draw the winner later in the week.
Have a snow filled day!
Hugs

35 comments:

Jane Wetzel said...

WOW...Absolutely LOVE your blog..we are expecting more snow here too... :)

Unknown said...

Lovely job Jennie and I have just discovered it is your birthday ... Have a fabulous day hun ... Happy Birthday X

Lori said...

Wowza! That book is GORGEOUS! Love the metal effects! And the texture is awesome, you can even see it in the pics! lol. Happy Birthday to you...

Unknown said...

Just popped on the computer to wish you a happy birthday.


Love the journal you are making - its stunning.

I am snowed in. I shovelled my way to my chickens, and there is no way I am going to shovel the snow to get into my studio shed at the end of the garden - I might get marooned LOL

The snow is lovely to look at - but having had it for weeks and weeks now, it would really be nice for it to thaw - so that it is safe to walk.

It is snowing again now - you wold have think that the clouds would have run our of it by now wouldn't you LOL

Hope you are having a lovely romantic birthday, somewher nice and warm with a big log fire and your handsome man. Wonder what he has in store this year for you.

lesleyanne said...

happy birthday
love the book keep thinking must have a go at one myself xx

Helen said...

Love the journal. Happy Birthday, whatever you do, have fun. I am about to be let out of work soon so I can get home before the pavements freeze too badly, yey!

Artyjen said...

Happy Birthday to you! Tra la la!
Have a good one and keep warm....our little smattering of snow has already gone although only a couple of miles away it is a different story! We are truly blessed with a micro climate here.
It's still "beep beep" chilly though!
Love the idea with the smaller size journal...not too daunting to fill! LOL
xoxo
xoxo

Sarah Anderson said...

Happy Birthday Jennie!!
And great to see your first journalling page, love the colours :)

Anita said...

Happy Birthday! I love seeing your amazing art!

PaulineC said...

Happy Birthday, and thanks for the free postage offer. I am snowed in too and unfortunately at the moment the post man is snowed out. Pauline C

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! The cover is great, but the page is fabulous. It speaks to me, and more than just the text!

It's really beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

judith@poppy cottage said...

Happy Birthday Jennie, I was 46 last month, so i know all about the memory thing! Love your journal, it's just gorgeous. I hope you will show us more as it progesses. Enjoy the rest of your day, Judith x

CK Chai said...

lovely journal, and happy borthday to ya!

Daniele said...

Happy birthday to you.. Jennie hope you are keepin warm and having fun today, loving all things inky and messy and you journal looks so fab
Hugs from Daniele xx

Gloria L. said...

Have a wonderful birthday, Jennie! Your book page is wonderful, love the colors!

Riet said...

Ohh wowww Jenny,what beautiful,i love the colours.

Hugs Riet.xx

Lisa said...

Hope you're having a wonderful birthday! I love your book. I've started art journalling this year. I'm in love with the Claudine Hellmuth paint colours.....:)

Nicks said...

Happy Birthday! Fab work as always x

patcrafts said...

Happy Birthday Jennie.The Book is wonderful and makes me want to make one just like it amongst all the other crafting projects I have in mind.
We are expecting more snow up here in the frozen north apparently,I think I will emmigrate.

Julia Dunnit said...

Happy Returns Jennie, being snowed in has really paid off - the book is just fabulous. I like the ind=side particularly, am a junkie when it ocmes to handwritten journalling. Great stuff.

Morti said...

Love the stamp Jennie!

Hope you've had a fabulous birthday - here's to a very creative year for you!

whyducks said...

Working on your Birthday, tut, tut, but I am glad you did. Great! Happy Birthday, 35 bumps I think! x

Heavens2Betsy said...

Loved the art journal Jennie - hope you have lots of exciting times in it! Happy Birthday to you on this snowy day.

veronica said...

happy birthday Jennie - love the bright and cheerful page, it's almost tempted me to dig out the sale price sketchbook I got last year......maybe when i warm up, cos am typing this wearing gloves it's so cold!

Anonymous said...

Your book is fabulous Jennie, love all that texture! Hope you had a wonderful birthday! xx

The Scrappy Tree said...

Thanks for taking part in our New Year's challenge Jennie! Your journal is absolutely GORGEOUS!
Happy birthday, hope you had a great day :)

Minxy said...

Hope you had a fabby b'day Jennie, soz your card and what not will be late, already i'm off to a bad start and its only janruary.. god help me lol
Love the start of your journal, keep meaning to start one myself but never get round to it as there is always something else to do!
Love the new look of the blog too.
Hugs Nicky x

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

Chicken Licken said...

Happy Birthday! Love the colours of your Journal, bothe the cover and the page! Look forward to seeing it grow!

Teri Terrific said...

Happiest Birthday! It's -12 degrees here so the warm colors on your FLOWER POWER page really cheered me ;D

Joanne said...

Love the book Jennie. I tried to order a couple of bits yesterday but couldn't get past the checkout wanting £2.95. Had to give up as decorating the bedroom beckoned. Will try again today after I've painted the ceiling - yak! x

Kath said...

Glad you enjoyed your special day.Hope you have a great year to follow. Love the book. You are so talented.

Lucy Edmondson said...

I absolutely love what you have made! Love the grey and pastels together on the cover. Hope you had a lovely day, and you are so kind to think of others on your own birthday,

Lucy x

Anonymous said...

Love your new journal Jennie! I have a similar book I got from Paddy and started the first few pages last year, but you've made me want to get it out again and have another go!

I've got those flower stamps of yours too, so could use them. :0

Lynn Wild

Zuila said...

happy birthday. I love seeing your amazing art Jennie!

hugs.x